The cairn of Gavrinis can only be visited though GUIDED VISITS.
All of our guides are mediator’s guides who speak at least French and English. If you would like to follow a visit only in English, we have English guided tours every Tuesdays at 3PM upon reservation.
You can whether choose the “basic visit” or the “megalith circcuit“. It includes:
- Visit of the cairn of Gavrinis
- Bypass of the island of Er Lannic which has a double enclosure of megaliths.)
The basic visit is organised as follow:
- Meeting point: Front desk of the Cairn of Gavrinis on the harbour of Larmor Baden in order to get your tickets you have booked in advanced.
if you have bought you tickets online, you need to present your voucher at the front desk in order to get it validated.
Please do come 30 minutes in advanced.
You wont find any toilets on the island.
- Get on board the boat of the company “Le Passeur des îles”.
The trip to the island of Gavrinis last 15 minutes. It is a great opportunity to enjoy the view, and to pay attention to the the speech about the natural and marine environment.
- The guide will then escort you from the boat slip to the Cairn of Gavrinis. The guided visit will last 60 minutes. Throughout this visit, you will learn more about the landscape’s evolution since the Neolithic age, the first human societies, their stone architectures and finally, the inside of the monument with its engraved stones.
The Cairn of Gavrinis is very ancient: over 6000 years old. The Cairn is extremely fragile. Thus, we thank you for your understanding, and respect toward the rules listed below.
These rules are made to protect the site. Your guide will remind you these rules at the beginning of the visit.
The Cairn is very narrow. In order to avoid any frictions against the engravings, we thank you to follow these rules:
- Leave you bags in storage boxes at the entrance. Do not worry, everything is locked up and if you have forgotten any item in it, your guide will open it for you.
- Get inside the monument by following you guide. You will be divided by two groups of ten people.
- Do not touch the walls once inside.
- Eating, smoking, is strictly forbidden
- Do not climb on top. You might hurt yourself and degrade the monument.
- Please, do leave you furry friends at home (dogs, cat, or any other pet). They will not be allowed on site.
At the end of the visit, Le Passeur des îles (the boat) will take you back to the harbour of Larmor Baden. You will there a food truck, restaurant, our shop toilets and more.
Do not hesitate if you have any questions, or would like to leave a comment on our trip advisor page.
The Grand tour (Le circuit des megaliths) offers you to end your visit by discovering by boat the double megalithic enclosure of the island of Er Lannic.
The megalith circuit:
“Le circuit des Mégalithes” offers you to get as close as possible from the double megalithic enclosure of the island of Er Lannic, a natural reserve which is not normally accessible.
It is separated with the cairn of Gavrinis by the current of “la jument”( the mare). This ocean current, is the 2nd strongest current of Europe.
Witness of the rising water, this double stone enclosure faces the Cairn of Gavrinis. The upper enclosure consists of 60 stone blocks while the lower enclosure counts 34 blocks, now submerged. During high tides, twenty menhirs remain visible today.
Archaeological excavations carried out in the late 19th and early 20th centuries have revealed impressive material: nearly 800 kg of pottery shards, thousands of flint chips and more than a hundred polished axes or fragments.
The megalith circuit is offered in the morning at 11am and in the afternoon at 4:30 PM (these times are likely to change in summer, please contact the site for any information).
We wish you a pleasant visit!